Sunday, February 2, 2020

Orient Mako XL Black Dial & Bezel - New in Collection!

Here is finally a new addition to my collection, which happens rarely nowadays, and it is an Orient Mako XL.


A couple of years back there was a trend in oversized watches - and I remember it well and have a couple of 45 mm case diameter watches myself - and Orient came up with this version of the Mako - the Mako XL.

This is not a Mako I, not a Mako II, it is specifically a Mako XL, the largest of all Makos!


However it is powered by Orient's famous 469xx movement which, it has to be said, is strictly automatic, i.e. no hand-winding option which is good for a diver's watch and for reliability and longevity in general (as there are fewer operations that are required to do with the watch by the user) but it also loses something in convenience of use, especially where you have many watches and rotate them and for this reason don't wear, say, this one often enough for it to maintain enough auto wind reserve - which is a well-known inconvenience with purely automatic watches lacking hand-wind.


On the other hand it also has a pusher which changes day of week... and which also somewhat defeats the purpose of a diver's watch as it has no screw-down crown but the main crown is screw-down. 

But well I knew all of that before I bought the watch; I just wanted to have my first Mako and with the 469 caliber specifically.


Here it is side by side with one of my other 45+ mm watch - the Zlatoust Retro Military which turned to be one of my most successful watch purchases as it consistently kept good time and there were no major problem in about a year of wear. 

But now it goes to its box to give way to the Mako which will be my main wearable watch at least until my next watch purchase.









And here is unboxing in more detail.










Mako XL reference my be seen here.
















Operating manual in English.


Operating manual in Russian.











HoroLex: Часы "Ориент Мако XL" - Orient Mako XL - добавлени...: Новое пополнение в коллекции - часы "Ориент Мако XL"! Пару лет назад, когда была мода на большие часы, компания "Ориент...

No comments:

Post a Comment