Sunday, August 9, 2020

My Summer Linen Jacket Analyzed

Here is my 2020 summer linen jacket from the glorious (?) Banana Rep. brand.


Though I had some doubts at first seeing as the fine article of clothing in question was procured by myself from a discount store and much reduced in pricing, I am really beginning to love it!

And what's not to love:
Shell: 100% linen (Good!)
Front body lining: 50% acetate, 50% nylon (Good!)
Back body lining: 61% polyester (Bad!), 39% rayon/viscose (Good! - almost like silk only more durable)
Sleeve lining: 61% polyester (Bad!), 39% rayon/viscose (Good!)

See, it has everything - the Good, the Bad... and  who's the Ugly?

Color is grey sky; and pattern-wise the fabric is linen mini houndstooth.


Also, it appears to be very susceptible to wrinkling and creasing and bunching and what not which is in my view a good thing but only on a linen jacket; hey but ain't it one of them - amazing coincidence!


And doesn't it give you something to do on those long summer days -- even if they are fast getting short in August -- like getting those wrinkles and creases all properly set and in place so as not to have to start from scratch all over again come next summer, covid-19 permitting.


So far so good but do need more summer time.

Fortunately, the astronomical summer isn't over until September 21, so there is plenty of time yet.


And wrinkles and creases are pretty easy to cultivate on this here garment as I already mentioned.

Driving in it, takes care of the back very effectively.

To ID the garment, I did my searches on the internet utilizing some info on the lable - why did I even bother? - anyway it appears to be a Spring 2016 offering from BR and quite pricey at the time as it was at over $200; however I got it much cheaper last summer at a discount store brand new with tags.

Sleeves had to be shortened and the functional "surgeon's cuff" was ruthlessly disposed of.

Shortening from the shoulder, although a more technically correct decision, was judged by my alterations tailor to be impossible as when the sleeve is lifted it becomes narrower and I happen to have 50 cm upper arm, complete with biceps and triceps not just lumps of fat, so wouldn't be able to squeeze into the new sleeve.



No comments:

Post a Comment